Remembering Tommy Lasorda

 

Associated Press

I didn't have the opportunity to meet Tommy Lasorda, though like many I heard many interviews he did on sports talk radio. Oh how I wish I could talk to the late Joe McDonnell, who I'm sure would have had all sorts of anecdotes about the manager who "bled Dodger blue."

The former Dodger manager was always a popular interview on sports talk radio. Here are some memories from those who offered Tommy's voice on the local airwaves:

Fred Roggin (AM 570 LA Sports): In a city full or stars, Tommy Lasorda was one of the biggest.  He was able to capture the imagination of Los Angeles.



John Ireland (710 / ESPN): You never could have created a character that would have been better than Tommy Lasorda.  The personality, the stories, the success on and off the field--he was truly one-of-a-kind.  And he was so colorful, so quotable, that I almost think it distracted from how good of a manager he was.  He won two World Series, four National League pennants, and eight division titles.  And he did it all while being the most famous manager, maybe ever.

I've often said that if you played word association with a typical sports fan and the word was "Dodgers," you would get one of two answers:  Tommy Lasorda or Vin Scully.  That's it.  That's the list.  The thing is so extraordinary about that is neither one of those guys ever played.  The Dodgers are one of the biggest brands in professional sports, and somehow, their two biggest names were outside the lines.  

Compass Media Networks
Matt "Money" Smith (AM 570 LA Sports): It was obvious in the celebration of his life that we didn’t view Tommy as your standard “former player, manager, celebrity”. Instead Tommy felt like a member of your family. Which ever radio station you work for, whatever show you happen to be broadcasting on, he was a big part of it. A lot of sports figures view the media as a nuisance, Tommy seemed to really enjoy engaging and telling stories through the medium of radio.

Don Martin (SVP Sports LA iHeartMedia / Premiere/ Fox Sports Radio): A lot of people have Tommy stories, he touched so many people due to living life and being such a big personality.

For me it was truly the special one on one conversations in his office about the journey, the people, the players and his love of life, not just the game. He will always have a special place in my heart as a beautiful man that cared so much about touching and motivating people with positivity. Rest in peace my dear Friend.

Hans Gutknecht/LA Daily News
David Singer (NFL Networks): I probably booked Tommy Lasorda more times than any other guest on The Mason & Ireland Show.  I think I knew his home number by heart.  Every time he joined us, he made us laugh endlessly.  He was such a character.  He is what baseball desperately needs now.  He was larger than life and made Dodgers fans love this team even more.  He was a storyteller.  He was a showman and he was an ambassador for not only the Dodgers but the game of baseball.  Tommy is no doubt holding court up in Blue Heaven.


Jeff Biggs ("NFL Rush" / Sportsmap Radio): I actually first met Tommy when I was 8! When he came to my little league in the valley. The Dodgers were everything in the 70"s. And then when I got a little older, I got to hear Tommy on the Jim Healy show! So once I got into the business, to cover him and know him was very special to me. He was a true L.A. icon, and the ultimate Dodger.
Missak Tokhmanian (AVP - Consumer Bank Risk Management at CIT Bank)Being fortunate enough to work with Tommy at KMPC and KLAC was a blessing for an Angelino. He was like no other sports figure, a polarizing force indeed. He would make anyone he spoke to want to run through a wall for him. If Tommy was around you were guaranteed to learn or laugh, sometimes both. We're all better for having had such a unique figure in our lives.

Want to know when the blog is updated? Email me at ayodaradio@gmail.com. I won't sell your email as I have no one to sell it to. Thanks for reading.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking news: Don Barrett in his own words

So what happened at KFI?

Bulletin: Layoffs at KNX