So I can use your help (and it's not about money)

I've some ideas for future postings but can use some help. I’m soliciting your assistance if you'd like to participate in creating some stories:

radio.com

Perhaps better known nowadays as CHR (Contemporary Hit Radio), it may not have been invented on the airwaves of Los Angeles radio, but starting with the halcyon days of Boss Radio KHJ, there’s always been a station playing the hits. I mentioned previously that KIIS-FM is still a dominant station, yet it’s not “the” top station in the market. That’s also true around the country, CHR stations being popular, but not dominant. So my question is what’s the future of CHR? Is the format in the doldrums for now but will eventually regain its leadership, or does the format need an overhaul? And if so, how?

I was introduced to HD Radio courtesy of Don Barrett, who gifted me the Boston Acoustics table radio. Subsequently, I’ve had HD radio in all of my autos, including a retrofit in a vehicle which I couldn’t wait to get rid of (the radio was great, the car was a lemon). It reflects the “geek” in me, I always want to have access to whatever technology’s available to enhance my listening experience. Heck, I still have an AM stereo radio in my closet (yes, I’m showing my…er, maturity).

I recently wrote about CBS revamping their sports radio network locally to cater to listeners interested in gambling. Now known as “The Bet,” the new effort is heard on KCBS-FM HD3 (93.1 FM). Saul Levine uses HD radio for both his AM classical station K-Mozart (KMZT) and LA Oldies (105.1 FM HD2). There’s also the new technology called MA-3 that provides an all-digital AM HD signal without the issues of current AM HD broadcasts (more signal coverage, less interference of adjacent stations), it can be heard on radios currently equipped with HD capability but not available on a standard AM radio.

So here’s my question: HD radio was launched at the beginning of the century, promising to revitalize radio with overall higher quality sound and also provide more choices via the FM subchannels. A lot of newer cars have HD radios, I don’t know how many drivers know what they have. What is the future of HD radio? Will it eventually get a bigger foothold as drivers replace their vehicles? Will the MA-3 all digital AM make any sort of impact? Or will the technology meet the same eventual demise of AM stereo?

I previously mentioned I’m preparing a piece on “The Mighty 1190,” KEZY, a station I grew up with even if the signal disappeared from LA at night. In doing some research, other SoCal regional stations – where many Los Angeles radio talent spent their time – popped up in my Google searches. If you’ve any memories, either as a listener or someone who worked at one of these stations (others also include KOLA, KWIZ, KCAL-FM, KYMS to name a few), I’d be interested in hearing from you as I compile some tales of these frequencies of the past.

(P.S. I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention the wonderful website socalradiohistory.com, there’s some great stories there about a variety of local and regional stations.)

wsj.com

Although it’s been two weeks since his passing, Rush Limbaugh continues to be in the news, particularly with affiliates of his “EIB Network” (syndicated by Premier Networks) deciding what to do next. I still have some memories of Limbaugh to share, feel free to both share your memories if you worked with him, as well as your ideas about what can / should talk radio do next. Obviously Rush Limbaugh is one-of-a-kind, does his passing open up new opportunities for talk radio? Or is this the harbinger of the demise of talk radio?

Please send your ideas, memories, comments, and questions to ayodaradio@gmail.com. You can also share your email address to let you know when we've posted something new. To reiterate, your email address will not be sold to anyone. 

Your assistance is appreciated, or as my wife would state, I need all the help I can get. Of course, she may have offered her comment in a different context.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking news: Don Barrett in his own words

So what happened at KFI?

Bulletin: Layoffs at KNX