An open letter to KROQ's Kevin Weatherly

 


Dear Kevin,

First, a welcome back to the L.A. airwaves! It’s different than when you left a couple of years ago, if nothing else I appreciate your willingness to take on the task of improving KROQ, the station you helmed for 25 years which in the current business is nearly a lifetime of work.

Since you left, a lot has changed. You now have ALT 98.7 (KYSR) sharing at least part of your audience. Some refer to Lisa Worden, their PD, as your protégé. It’s both encouraging you were a good mentor, yet perhaps frustrating she’s currently ahead of her mentor.

You also survived the transition of station ownership, from CBS and their growing apathy toward radio to Entercom / Audacy, whose primary interest should be local radio but more recently appears to be prioritizing their online platforms. Also, there’s maybe a bit more out-of-town talent than I personally prefer.

Speaking of corporate, I know they want to attract that ideal 25 – 54 demographic, so does everyone else. But you may have a unique dilemma. Much of your core audience is older with memories of what KROQ once was. They remember starting their mornings with Kevin & Bean while hearing new, cutting edge selections the rest of the day. You were able to somehow embrace the seeming oxymoron of being alternative while attracting a wider audience. I’m guessing you don’t want to alienate this core listenership, but is this sacrifice necessary to get that younger audience? Or do you think you can bridge the gap? Then again, sister station K-EARTH 101 (KRTH) is doing quite well with a 70s-80s-90s format.


Ally Johnson, Kevin Klein, The Woody Show

With no disrespect to Kevin Klein and Ally Johnson, they have yet to attract the attention of their predecessors, let alone ALT 98.7’s “The Woody (Fife) Show.” Maybe it’s not in the budget or maybe I haven’t looked, but I have yet to see any publicity for the current AM drive time program (the Woody Show billboards still appear from time to time).  I’d argue mornings still matter – is there any way to give them publicity? Does corporate have any budget to offer you? The only ad I’ve seen is a sign below the giant electronic billboard off the 405 freeway in Lawndale. 

By the way, the billboard still posts the previous logo you replaced with the heritage emblem.

Then there’s what makes up the alternative audience. Defining that audience is becoming harder. I’ve mentioned before my 18-year-old son has stated bluntly “alternative simply isn’t.” He believes almost everything becomes mainstream. He has a point, which inevitably makes it harder to uniquely define KROQ. Who really is the alternative audience?

Maybe it’s helpful to share with you some of the comments I received when I solicited opinions about what to do with 106.7 FM:

·       “This is either a genius move or a desperate move by ownership. But things can’t get worse.”

Booker & Stryker, Kat Corbett

·       “I truly hope Weatherly goes back to the former days of KROQ, introducing new music to the listeners. I'm so sick of hearing 1990’s and early 2000’s bands non-stop. If I want to hear those bands, I’d listen to a different station. And now that Weatherby (hehe...an inside Kevin & Bean joke) is back, I hope he can create a KROQ-worthy morning show. ** He won't be able to bring back Kevin and Bean, and not even Stryker, or Kat Corbett to the station. But I know there's a better option than the current morning show.”

·        “I can listen to Sirius XM and avoid the commercials.”

·       “I can listen to Spotify and avoid the commercials” (that one’s gotta hurt a bit).

I’m basically reiterating what I’ve shared with my readers previously, I do know you’re in charge of all of Audacy’s progressive properties, but I’m fairly certain KROQ is your priority. I’m one of many wishing you good luck with a very significant challenge.

We’ll be listening,

Alan

ayodaradio@gmail.com


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking news: Don Barrett in his own words

Bulletin: Layoffs at KNX

So what happened at KFI?