While I sort out my thoughts

 

Don & Cherie Barrett

I’m still gathering my thoughts over the passing of my mentor, Don Barrett. A few people have responded to my request for memories (although Facebook flagged me for supposedly violating their policy, go figure), others have shared their tributes on social media. Here’s what I’ve gathered so far, more to come:


Alan Oda, Dick Whittington, Don Barrett (2020)

Mort Sahl once said that radio was the lowest rung on the show business ladder. Don Barrett never believed that observation, and as a consequence neither did we in the business. He gave all of us a pride in ourselves. I am sure that I speak for all us. My deepest sympathies to his lovely wife. Cherie.” – Dick Whittington

“I'm sad, yet grateful that Don is no longer in pain. Since 1998, he was a friend. Don allowed me to post a few of my articles on Los Angeles radio history on his site and I also collaborated a couple of times with the late Jim Hawthorne on articles for LARadio. Don and I corresponded via email countless times in the past 25 years. I was able to first meet Don at the LARadio forum he hosted in Beverly Hills in 2001, that featured several LARP, including Hunter HancockArt Laboe, Jim Hawthorne, Ted QuillinCasey KasemGary OwensElliot FieldChuck Blore, and probably others I can't recall. I couldn't come down to So Cal when Don hosted the tribute to KMPC 710 later on, but he was nice enough to send me a CD copy of the audio from that 90-minute event. I last saw Don in 2018 when he invited me to meet him in Morro Bay for lunch. That was a wonderful day, too. We talked on the phone a few times and corresponded more on and off. He leaves behind such a legacy as a husband, father, grandfather, mentor, counselor, disc jockey, station manager, radio executive, movie studio PR man, etc., etc. Most of all, he was a good man. Rest in peace, Don Barrett. I'll never forget you.” – Jim Hilliker


“Sad news today that my friend, Don Barrett, better known by his friends as the Avila Beach Boy (his home for many years) has died of cancer. After a career in radio, Don kept track of about 3000 L.A. radio personalities over many years in his books, Los Angeles Radio People. Claudia and I had the pleasure to see Don and his wife in Avila Beach a couple of years ago, sitting in an outside cafe on the beach, drinking coffee and talking about, what else, radio.” – Tom Storey

“For some individuals, you need not describe who they were or what achievements they accomplished, the mere mention of their name says it all.  Our beloved friend, Don Barrett, fell into that category. He made all of our lives a bit brighter. For those of us who were blessed to work in L.A. radio, at one time or another, he made each of us feel like a star. It was Don’s way of doing things. Making people smile was one of his greatest qualities. This is a time for all of us to reflect on just how precious our lives are, in Don’s eyes we were all equals. Rest in peace my dear friend.” – Jeffrey Leonard


“Godspeed to you, Don. You served the broadcast community of Southern California with nobility and honor for decades. You provided counsel to hundreds (myself included) with no agenda other than to be a friend. Rest in peace.” – Roger Nadel

“When I started at the Museum back in 1990, and began to dig into the history of Los Angeles rock radio, Don was one of my go to people. He ran the LA Radio People website and published the book that was THE guide of who was who in the Los Angeles radio scene. His work made my job so much easier.

And I was honored to get to know him a little, both in person and via phone, as I worked on a variety of projects for the Museum, particularly the Rock 'n' Roll and Radio exhibit. And when we opened our facility in Beverly Hills, I continued to go to him as a resource for all things in local L.A. Radio.

Don was recently diagnosed with an advanced case of liver cancer, which moved quickly and took his life. I trust the L.A. radio community will honor his legacy in proper style.” – Ken Mueller

“God bless your beautiful soul, LA Radio famous Don Barrett. RIP, thank you for helping me get sober and stay sober.” – Ryan Burt

“Such sad news. I only met Don twice, once at an aircheck gathering in November 2000, which Scott Lo-and-I attended. And certainly at the George Nicholaw tribute. I always looked forward to those daily groups of headlines Don would send out, similar on a national level the way Radio Insight does at 5PM Sunday through Friday. On a wider scale, it’s always a shame when someone with a lot of knowledge leaves this planet, hopefully with a surviving legacy.” – Chime Hart

“Just got word via Charlie Van Dyke that Don Barrett passed away this morning. He was a man who did it all as a General Manager and Programmer, a Studio Executive and of course the biggest booster of LA Radio people that we could ever have. Rest in peace Don...” – Bryan Simmons

Charlie Van Dyke, Don Barrett

"I am saddened to learn that my dear friend Don Barrett passed away this morning. He was by my side since I was 20 years old. The world will long miss this fine man who helped so many people." - Charlie Van Dyke

“Don has been tireless/passionate in elevating the people who made/make Los Angeles radio such a vibrant force. It's a rare instance of someone who could easily win LA Radio's MVP ("Most Valuable Person") award, while at the same time scoring its Most Unsung/Underrated honor ... if such accolades existed.” – Mike Kinosian

“It's been decades being apart of the LA radio family that he always made sure we had a seat at the table. I'm forever grateful that he left none of us unwelcomed or forgotten in his publications. Rest in Music Don Barrett.” – Jamie Worlds


“RIP Don. You were a great man and an inspiration to many. I will never hear Louie Louie without thinking about you.” – David Jones

“Sad to hear about this...Breaks my heart as we lose another great man...Don was a terrific guy and helped boost all of our careers...He was so passionate about the business(that seems to always turn on us)...Always enjoyed his friendship and fatherly guidance and our lunch meetings were always a handful of laughs...Gentleman Don, you will be missed...Radio Heaven has another heavyweight...Thank you for being a great friend...I will miss you...RIP Don Barrett.” – Michael Carlucci

ayodaradio@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking news: Don Barrett in his own words

So what happened at KFI?

Bulletin: Layoffs at KNX